|This article or section is incomplete. It doesn't have all of the necessary core information on this topic. Please help the SRB2 Wiki bythis article.|
The game controls are the inputs by which the player directs movement and other game functions. These can be assigned to keyboard buttons (or "keys"), mouse buttons, or an axis on a joystick.
These controls can be configured through the Control Configuration menus (Options → Setup Controls → Player 1/2 Controls → Control Configuration...), or through the console commands
setcontrol2 (for Player 1 and Player 2 respectively). The keys set for these controls are saved in
Below is the full list of configurable controls along with their default keys for Player 1, split up into the same groups as those seen in the Control Configuration menus:
Joystick button #6
Joystick button #5
Joystick button #10
Joystick hat up
Joystick button #4
|Rotate Camera L||
|Rotate Camera R||
Joystick hat left
Joystick hat right
Joystick button #1
Joystick button #2
Joystick button #3
|Weapon Slot 1||
||1||Red Ring/Infinity Ring|
|Weapon Slot 2||
|Weapon Slot 3||
|Weapon Slot 4||
|Weapon Slot 5||
|Weapon Slot 6||
|Weapon Slot 7||
Left Mouse button
|Ring Toss Normal||
1 These controls are for Player 1 only.
|Custom Action 1||
|Custom Action 2||
|Custom Action 3||
Joystick button #7
Joystick hat down
|Toggle GIF Recording||
|Open/Close Menu (ESC)||
||Joystick button #8||2|
||~ (tilde) 3||2|
2 These controls are for Player 1 only.
3 This assumes the user is using a US keyboard. For UK keyboards, this is the ` (backquote) key.
These controls have pre-determined keys, and as such they cannot be modified.
- Escape – Brings up the Main Menu, also pausing the game when in Single Player; if used in chat mode however, this will exit the mode instead. A backup key for for the in-game pause menu behavior can be configured using Open/Close Menu (ESC) in the Control Configuration menus (see section above).
- F1 – Help Key – displays information on NiGHTS and Multiplayer
- F3 – Toggles
- F4 – Shortcut key to the Sound Volume menu
- F5 – Shortcut key to the Video Mode menu
- F7 – Shortcut key to the Options menu
- F8 – Takes a screenshot. A backup key can be configured for this control using Screenshot in the Control Configuration menus (see section above).
- F9 – Toggles Movie mode on/off A backup key can be configured for this control using Toggle GIF Recording in the Control Configuration menus (see section above).
- F10 – Quits SRB2
- F11 – Changes the Gamma level (cycles through the 5 available gamma levels used by
- F12 – Switches your view with the view from other players, providing you don't move. This is unusable in Match. A backup key can be configured for this control using Change Viewpoint in the Control Configuration menus (see section above).
- Pause/Break – Pauses the game, or unpauses if already paused. A backup key can be configured for this control using Pause in the Control Configuration menus (see section above).
Joysticks are an alternative way to play SRB2 – joysticks can be configured through the Joystick Options menu (Options → Setup Controls → Player 1/2 Controls → Joystick Options / Second Joystick Options), or through the corresponding console variables: for instance, the joystick device number used for a player can be selected via the "Select Joystick" menu, or though
A joystick axis can be assigned as the controlling axis for a specific control (or a specific pair of controls) out of a limited selection. Joystick axes can also be configured through the Joystick Options menu, or through the corresponding console variables for each controlling axis. These and the corresponding controls each axis can control are listed in the table below, along with the defaults for each axis (defaults apply to both Player 1 and Player 2).
|Control axis||Corresponding control(s)||Console variables||Default axis|
|Axis For Turning||Turn Left/Right||
|Axis For Moving||Forward/Reverse||
|Axis For Strafe||Strafe Left/Right||
|Axis For Looking||Look Up/Down||
|Axis For Firing||Ring Toss||
|Axis For NFiring||Ring Toss Normal||
List of joystick axes
The table below lists the available joystick axis numbers and their corresponding names for use in the console variables above. Note that negative axis numbers (or axis names with a "-" suffix) will act as flipped versions of the corresponding positive axis numbers and names.
There are a number of different ways of controlling the player present in SRB2, most of which depend on the type of level being played. Any important changes/differences in controls are noted in the table below:
|Control mode||Activation method||Controls|
|n/a||The player moves as in any first-person game (such as Doom itself), normally with the camera located behind the player. This applies regardless of whether the player uses the third-person or first-person camera.
Player is using the third-person camera.
|The player moves à la games such as Sonic Adventure, where the player will generally move in the direction the controls direct them, relative to the angle the camera is currently facing. If the player moves a direction other than forwards, the camera will automatically turn itself to keep the player on-screen.
If the player switches to the first-person camera at any point, the player will have the normal control scheme instead of analog controls.
|2D mode||The player is in a 2D mode level;
Linedef type 432
|The exact control scheme for 2D mode depends on the camera mode the player is currently using: