One of the top reasons why SRB2 became so popular is because it allows for massive customization. Users can make characters, levels, music, graphics, or complete source code modifications. This article lists some of the most popular and notable SRB2 modifications. They are all compatible with Version 2.0 and available at the Releases section of the SRB2 Message Board.
Source Code Modifications
These modifications are custom versions of SRB2 that contain new features for the game and have their own executable.
- SRB2 Community Build - A source code mod created by Kalaron which adds a variety of features to the game, including improvements to the OpenGL renderer, bots in Coop and Match as well as functional slopes, among other things.
- SRB2Morphed - A source code modification created by Morph which enhances customization capabilities by adding new SOC actions and character abilities.
- SRB2 Riders - A source code modification created by Chaos Zero 64 which replicates the gameplay of Sonic Riders and Mario Kart 64 in SRB2.
- XSRB2 - A source code modification created by Inuyasha which features an in-progress Single Player rotation, a new gametype called "Shards", as well as a miniature golf zone.
These modifications consists of one or several WAD files that can be added to SRB2. The most notable type of these are level packs.
- Acid Missile - A level pack created by FuriousFox containing three Single Player zones, a final level, custom emblems and unlockables.
- Botanic Serenity - A level pack created by Digiku containing the highly detailed Botanic Serenity Zone, which was the first custom level made for NiGHTS Mode, as well as several unlockables.
- The Mystic Realm - A level pack created by Mystic containing seven Single Player zones, several hidden stages, and numerous extra secrets. It was one of the first large-scale modifications of SRB2 and is still one of the most popular.
- Tortured Planet - A level pack created by Fawfulfan containing nine Single Player zones, a final boss, three unlockable maps, and a Match rotation spanning ten maps. It is the largest level pack for SRB2.
These modifications are outdated and are not compatible with the current version of SRB2.
- SA-SRB2 - A modification for 1.08 created by BlazeHedgehog that re-textures and modifies the official levels and enables Adventure Mode.
- SPMoves - A source code modification for 1.08 created by JTE that, among other features, adds new special abilities to the game.
- Blue Heaven - A level pack for 1.09.4 created by Tets containing five Single Player zones with two acts each.
- ShufflarB2 - A source code modification for 1.09.4 created by Shuffle that adds modifies existing gametypes, adds a new gametype, new SOC actions, custom maps and other miscellaneous features.
- SRB2JTE - A source code modification for 1.09.4 created by JTE that adds many different features, including bots for Coop and Match and custom special abilities. Together with Mystic Realm, it was the most popular modification of the Final Demo era.
- Editing section at SRB2 Message Board - Discussion of in-progress modifications for SRB2.
- Releases section at SRB2 Message Board - Release and discussion of SRB2 modifications, including source code modifications, level packs, characters and miscellaneous files.
- Help:Manual of Style/Modifications - Guidelines for adding new modification pages to the Wiki.