This is a list of some of the most popular and notable SRB2 modifications. Except for the ones listed under Outdated modifications, they are all compatible with SRB2 v2.1. More modifications can be found at the Releases section of the SRB2 Message Board.
Source code modifications
- See also: Source code
These modifications are custom versions of SRB2 that contain new features for the game and have their own executable.
- SRB2 Top Down - A source code modification created by the community group "Kart Krew" which features modified gameplay based on a top-down perspective.
These modifications consists of one or several WAD files that can be added to SRB2. The most notable type of these are level packs.
- Acid Missile - A level pack created by FuriousFox containing three Single Player zones, a final level, custom emblems and unlockables.
- Mystic Realm - A level pack created by Mystic containing seven Single Player zones, several hidden stages, and numerous extra secrets. It was one of the first large-scale modifications of SRB2 and is still one of the most popular.
- SUGOI (Shut Up and Get On It) - A level pack created by multiple users as a community project. It contains 30 maps total, including several secret levels.
- Thokker - A multiplayer level pack created by RedEnchilada which features a new team-based gametype inspired by soccer.
- Tortured Planet - A level pack created by Fawfulfan containing eight Single Player zones plus a final boss, several unlockable maps, and a Match rotation spanning ten maps. It is the largest level pack for SRB2.
These modifications are outdated and are not compatible with the current version of SRB2.
- Botanic Serenity - A level pack created by Digiku containing the highly detailed Botanic Serenity Zone, which was the first custom NiGHTS level, as well as several unlockables.
- SRB2 Community Build - A source code modification created by Kalaron which adds a variety of features to the game, including improvements to the OpenGL renderer, bots in Coop and Match as well as functional slopes, among other things.
- SRB2Morphed - A source code modification created by Morph which enhances customization capabilities by adding new actions and character abilities. Many of the features from this modification were added to SRB2 itself in v2.1.
- SRB2 Riders - A source code modification created by Chaos Zero 64 which replicates the gameplay of Sonic Riders and Mario Kart 64 in SRB2.
- XSRB2 - A source code modification created by Inuyasha which features an incomplete Single Player campaign, a new gametype called "Shards", as well as a miniature golf zone.
- Blue Heaven - A level pack created by Tets containing five Single Player zones with two acts each.
- ShufflarB2 - A source code modification created by Shuffle that adds modifies existing gametypes, adds a new gametype, new actions, custom maps and other miscellaneous features.
- SRB2JTE - A source code modification created by JTE that adds many different features, including bots for Coop and Match and custom special abilities. Together with Mystic Realm, it was the most popular modification of the Final Demo era.
- SA-SRB2 - A modification created by BlazeHedgehog that re-textures and modifies the official levels and enables Adventure Mode.
- SPMoves - A source code modification created by JTE that, among other features, adds new special abilities to the game.
- Editing section at SRB2 Message Board - Discussion of in-progress modifications for SRB2.
- Releases section at SRB2 Message Board - Release and discussion of SRB2 modifications, including source code modifications, level packs, characters and miscellaneous files.
- Help:Manual of Style/Modifications - Guidelines for adding new modification pages to the Wiki.