NiGHTS is a supplementary level type for SRB2 which emulates the gameplay of NiGHTS into Dreams, one of Sonic Team's most popular games. In a NiGHTS level, the player flies along a pseudo-2D track as Super Sonic, collecting rings and Wing Logos and flying through hoops in order to destroy one or several Ideya Captures and accumulate points. When the level is cleared, a grade is awarded based on the number of points the player has.
NiGHTS is enabled for a map by adding the keyword
NiGHTS to the
TypeOfLevel parameter of its level header. It is typically used together with Single Player, although it can be also used with Race mode. In that case, instead of destroying an Ideya Capture, players will race against each other on the NiGHTS track. SRB2 uses NiGHTS for its Special Stages, with an emerald being rewarded for successfully completing each stage. It is also used for the Spring Hill Zone unlockable.
3D free roam
NiGHTS levels typically begin with a normal 3D view in which the player is free to explore the level. The player's jump height is increased to 600 fracunits, and both damage and drowning are disabled. Some maps have hidden items such as emblems or Chaos Emeralds hidden around the level; a secret may be unlocked if the player finds them. The player can destroy the Ideya Capture in this mode, though the necessary ring amount usually can be collected much faster as NiGHTS Super Sonic. To transform into NiGHTS Super Sonic, the player must touch the Ideya Drone.
Not all maps can be explored in 3D view. In that case, the player spawns directly on the Ideya Drone and immediately transforms into NiGHTS Super Sonic. The Ambush flag is then checked on the Ideya Drone to make sure that the player dies and respawns once the timer runs out. If it is not checked, the player returns to 3D view and spills all their rings. The player is then free to re-touch the Ideya Drone to transform once more and try again.
When the player touches the Ideya Drone, they will transform into NiGHTS Super Sonic. Flying on a 2D track, NiGHTS Super Sonic has a limited amount of time to collect enough rings to destroy the Ideya Capture and then touch the spawn point of the Ideya Drone. Afterward, NiGHTS Super Sonic will transfer to the next "mare", or round, of the level. Once the last mare has been completed, the level will finish. Many NiGHTS maps have only one mare and therefore end after the first Ideya Capture is destroyed and the player touches the Ideya Drone again.
Besides collecting rings to destroy the Ideya Capsule, the player may also try to accumulate points by collecting as many as possible of the three types of NiGHTS items: rings, wing logos and hoops. Each of these awards the player with 10 points, although through collecting items consecutively, this number can be raised (see Link section below). Additionally, between destroying an Ideya Capture and touching the Ideya Drone, the player is in "Bonus Time" in which items give the player twice the amount of points that they normally do. When passing by the Ideya Drone again after destroying the Ideya Capture, all items will reappear. Once the player touches the Ideya Drone to end the stage, 50 additional points are awarded for every ring the player currently holds.
If NiGHTS Super Sonic runs out of time, the player will revert to 3D view unless the Ideya Drone has the Ambush flag set, in which case they will die instead. Taking damage as NiGHTS Super Sonic reduces the timer by five seconds instead of making the player spill rings or die.
- Paraloop: If NiGHTS Super Sonic makes a complete loop with the star trail that follows him, any item inside the loop will be gathered and collected, while any enemy or boss will be damaged. In NiGHTS races, players caught in someone else's paraloop also get hurt.
- Drill Dash: Holding the Jump button will cause NiGHTS Super Sonic to speed up and rotate like a drill. This can damage enemies, but does not hurt other players in a NiGHTS race. The meter in the bottom left corner of the screen determines how long NiGHTS Super Sonic can sustain the Drill Dash, it will cancel out when the meter is empty. Flying through hoops refills the meter.
- Immediate stop: NiGHTS Super Sonic will immediately stop when the Spin button is pressed, or when pressing Rotate Camera L and Rotate Camera R simultaneously.
Links are a score buildup in NiGHTS which is based on how many consecutive wing logos, rings, and hoops (collectively) the player has grabbed. If the pause between collecting different items is too long, the Link number will reset. The Link number is expressed as the number of collective NiGHTS items – 1. If the player went through three consecutive hoops, that would be 2 Link. If the player collected five rings, a wing logo, a hoop, and then four more rings, that would be 10 Link.
As the Link number increases, so does the number of points that each item awards. Note that the score value for each Link number is applied to the item that caused the new Link number. For example, getting the object that displayed 1 Link would be worth 20 points.
|Link number||Points per item||Total score|
|9 Link and above||100||550 + 100×(n – 9)|
In Single Player NiGHTS stages, bonus points are awarded at the score tally screen for the highest link that was achieved in the stage. The bonus is calculated as the highest achieved link multiplied by 100 points. Like in regular Single Player stages, bonus points are also awarded for time (except in NiGHTS Special Stages).
- Axis, Axis Transfer and Axis Transfer Line: These define the layout of NiGHTS Super Sonic's 2D track.
- Ideya Drone: The transformation point into NiGHTS Super Sonic. Touching this makes the player enter 2D mode or, if all Ideya Capsules are destroyed, ends the level.
- NiGHTS Bumper: A bumper that bounces the player into a certain direction upon contact.
- Ideya Capture: This is the item that must be destroyed to end the level. Touching it will unload all of the player's rings into it, and if the ring requirement is met, it will be destroyed.
- Ring: Gives the player points upon collecting it and adds 1 to the ring counter.
- Hoop and Hoop (Customizable): A hoop that gives the player points and refills the Drill Dash meter upon passing through it.
- Wing Logo: A wing logo with the same sprites as emblems that gives the player points upon collecting it.
- Circle of Rings and Circle of Rings (Big): Ready-made circles of 8 or 16 rings.
- Circle of Wing Logos and Circle of Wing Logos (Big): Ready-made circles of 8 or 16 wing logos.
- Circle of Rings and Wing Logos and Circle of Rings and Wing Logos (Big): Ready-made circles of 4 rings and 4 wing logos or 8 rings and 8 wing logos.
Note that in NiGHTS-style Special Stages, rings turn into Blue spheres and wing logos into rings. Their effects are unchanged, however.
These appear in the middle of predetermined circles of rings and/or wing logos upon paralooping around them.
- Super Paraloop: Doubles the attraction radius of a paraloop for 15 seconds.
- Drill Refill: Refills the Drill Dash meter.
- Nightopian Helper: Increases the player's item attraction radius for 15 seconds.
- Extra Time: Adds 30 seconds to the player's clock.
- Link Freeze: Prevents the player's link from breaking for 15 seconds.
Christmas NiGHTS is a supplementary level type for SRB2 which gives NiGHTS levels a Christmas theme. This level type simply exchanges a few NiGHTS-related sprites and sound effects to be Christmas-themed. It is currently unused by SRB2 itself.
Christmas NiGHTS is enabled for a map by adding the keyword
Winter to the
TypeOfLevel parameter of its level header. Note that NiGHTS maps that have this level type still need to have the NiGHTS level type as well.
|Thing types affected||Regular sprite||Christmas NiGHTS sprite(s)|
|HOOPA0||HOOPB0 or HOOPC0 (alternating)|
Circles with wing logos
Note that if the NiGHTS map is also a Special Stage, wing logos will still turn into rings rather than their Christmas NiGHTS appearance.
|Sound name||Sound replaced||Description|
|sfx_xideya||sfx_ideya||Finishing a stage|
|sfx_nxitem||sfx_ncitem||Collecting a Wing Logo|
|sfx_nxdone||sfx_ngdone||Bonus time start|
Bugs and limitations
NiGHTS has some bugs and limitations that should be kept in mind when creating a NiGHTS level.
- Collision detection near axis transfer points/lines is not perfect. If you collide with an object or wall near the axis transfer line or point, there is a possibility of descynchronizing from the track. As a general rule of thumb, keep areas around the axis transfer lines or points clear of obstacles or hazards.
- Axis Transfer Lines cannot bring the track to a close. However, using a second Axis on top of the first one, having NiGHTS Super Sonic go onto the second Axis, then completing the track can overcome this problem, provided that the Axis Transfer Line and Axis Transfer are not too close together.
- The Ideya Drone cannot be placed on an Axis Transfer or Axis Transfer Line.
|Game modes||Campaign • Ultimate mode • Record Attack/NiGHTS Mode • Multiplayer|
|Game types||Single Player/Co-op • Competition • Race • Match/Team Match • Tag/Hide & Seek • Capture the Flag|
|Level types|| Supplementary: 2D mode • Mario mode • NiGHTS|
Other: Special Stage • Emerald Hunt