Linedef type 8
The extended properties to assign to the target sector or sectors are determined by the linedef flags applied to the controlling linedef.
The Not Climbable flag makes the target sector's special effect to only apply when the player touches the ceiling, instead of the floor. This is useful for when you want to apply a death pit effect when the player has reversed gravity. The Peg Midtexture flag allows the player to only need to touch the edge of the sector rather than stand with their centroid within it to activate the special. The Solid Midtexture flag makes the target sector's special effect to apply when the player touches either the floor or the ceiling, instead of just the floor.
If the controlling linedef is tagged to a solid FOF's control sector, the behavior of the Not Climbable and Solid Midtexture flags is flipped when the player interacts with the FOF – the "floor" is instead the top of the FOF (which sector specials affect by default), and the "ceiling" is instead the bottom of the FOF. If the controlling linedef is tagged to an intangible FOF's control sector, the Not Climbable and Solid Midtexture flags will normally have no effect, as the sector's special effect will apply anywhere in the FOF. An exception to this is the Spikes special.
Note that in general, touching a sector's ceiling (if Not Climbable or Solid Midtexture are checked) does not activate special effects unless the player is in reverse gravity; likewise, touching a sector's floor does not activate special effects unless the player is in normal gravity.
If the sector special Intangible to the Camera is applied to the front sector of the controlling linedef, this allows the heights of the "floor" and "ceiling" planes the camera collides with to be adjusted. These planes are defined by the linedef's front sector's floor and ceiling heights, rather than the target sector's floor and ceiling heights. This is useful for allowing the camera to pass through the target sector's floor or ceiling even after either have been moved, or alternatively for preventing the camera from crossing a point above the target sector's floor or below the target sector's ceiling.
- Example WAD: ex_ld008_sectorspecialparameters.wad
- This example WAD can be played in Single Player mode. It uses
MAP01, replacing Greenflower Zone Act 1.
- All of the four blocks have a death pit effect and gravity flip. You can touch the floor by jumping close to the block and pressing forward to land on the very edge of the sector. If you walk forward, you'll touch the floor.
- The yellow block has no other effect, so it kills players who touch the floor. Standing on the edge of the floor or on the ceiling is safe.
- The green block has the Peg Midtexture flag checked, so it will kill players who stand on the floor or its edges. Standing on the ceiling is safe.
- The red block has the Solid Midtexture flag checked, so it will kill players standing on either the floor or the ceiling. Standing on the edges is safe.
- The blue block has the Not Climbable flag checked, so it will kill players standing on the ceiling. Standing on the floor or the edge of the ceiling is safe.
|Linedef types - Parameters||[view]|
|Custom Exit • Zoom Tube Parameters • Special Sector Properties • Chain Parameters • Rope Hang Parameters • Rock Spawner Parameters • Continuously Appearing/Disappearing FOF • Bridge Thinker|