Talk:Flats and textures
- 1 Layout
- 2 Animated GIFs for animated textures/flats
- 3 What does "SA" mean?
- 4 What's left to do
- 5 Textures and Flats with Eggman
- 6 Question about why Digiku wants it to be private.
- 7 Should this page be deleted?
- 8 Pictures
- 9 All flats and textures converted into PNG
- 10 Good job
- 11 Table of Contents
- 12 What to do about all these duplicates?
- 13 A couple of questions...
Ooh boy, this is gonna' be a doozy. How should this page be organized? I'll try out a few layouts, personally, but answering these questions should help:
- A page name would be nice. "Graphics"? "List of Graphics"? "Flats and Textures"? "Themes"? I'm stumped.
Some mock-up page layouts would be nice, too, if you've got ideas!
--Digiku 21:27, 24 October 2007 (PDT)
Animated GIFs for animated textures/flats
Kthxbai --Kaysakado 06:26, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
Sorry. Too much work for me, and I'm iffy about copyright restrictions anyways. SSNTails gave us permission to use the flat/texture graphics, but I'm taking steps of my own to make sure they're not easily stolen intact. That's why the images are compressed in super low-res.
You can do the animating if you want. :P --Digiku 06:29, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
Meh, I'll probably do two or three, then forget about it, but I'll try. --Kaysakado 06:39, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
I'd do the GFZ ones first, so we can see how it looks before doing the others. --Digiku 06:43, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
I wouldn't worry too much about copyright issues on those, Digiku. Anyone else who might want to use these can very easily just take them right from SRB2 anyways. Having them here wouldn't really make that much of a difference. Unless SSNTails expressed these concerns, then I'd say we can be afford to be a little lax on that front. ~DarkWarrior
Super low-res compression is easy for me, anyways. Also, I'm more talking about random passer-byers who happen to find the full textures right here on the site. They don't even have to download SLumpEd or XWE, moreless even know what SRB2 is, to steal the textures for themselves. Like this! It's the easiest thing.
Actually, do me a favor and ask Mystic how he feels about someone linking to all of SRB2's oggs as a soundtrack on the MB. It's like that, I think. I do know for a fact that the team frowns upon the music being used for other projects. Might wanna ask him about the textures, too. --Digiku 08:07, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
Mystic's main concern was that people would see the full-res textures and say "ooh, free textures!" I think I'll continue to low-res 'em, then. The current quality is fine in terms of that. --Digiku 11:52, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
I'd do the GFZ ones first, so we can see how it looks before doing the others.
Anyways, if you haven't noticed, I've animated the FWATER series of flats, now I'm waiting to see if it looks fine and I should do the rest. --Kaysakado 19:02, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
Ah yeah, thanks for reminding me. The FWATER1 gif itself looks good to me. How about CFALL1 and GFALL1 before doing 'em all? --Digiku 19:50, 27 October 2007 (PDT)
OK, I'll get to work on them. --Kaysakado 06:22, 28 October 2007 (PDT)\
How about CFALL1 and GFALL1 before doing 'em all?
Done, if you haven't noticed. Something about the animations looks unatural, however. Maybe it's going too fast? --Kaysakado 16:44, 28 October 2007 (PDT)
Hee, I almost forgot about this. :)
Personally, I think we can go without the animations. The fact that all (or almost all) the frames are there makes me iffy on the whole copyright and stealing thing. Part of the appeal was that not all of the graphics, i.e. the hundreds of animation frames, would be used. But thanks very much for your efforts, though. :) --Digiku talk 09:59, 1 November 2007 (PDT)
What does "SA" mean?
Ah, because a lot of those textures come from BlazeHedgehog's SASRB2. Shortly after, he was signed on by SSNTails to do textures for SRB2. They can be certainly used outside the SASRB2 context, though, hence a new name is certainly possible. --Digiku talk 14:49, 28 November 2007 (PST)
I see. I think that instead of creating a new, less ambigous name, you should sort them in to the other categories, like putting GFZROCK2 into the same category normal GFZROCK was in(I forget the name of the category... -_-), but that's just my opinion. ~Kaysakado • Talk 15:55, 28 November 2007 (PST)
What's left to do
(Note: This is for my own use. I'll perform these steps when they're ready.)
- Separate Graphics into sub-pages, divided by each theme category. Also have a page listing all of 'em (i.e. like now)
- Retrofit older table lists to fit practices used in newer ones.
- Two-column "Texture" headings done from Green Hill Zone on. (Before, was only one column)
- Matching flat/texture arrangements done from Green Hill Zone on. (Before, was really a hodge-podge of clumping rows all into one.)
- Decide what to do with transparency color. Cyan or transparent? (This is a Wiki-wide decision.)
- Sort Unsorted graphics. Figure out what to do with Generic, "Grass", "Water", etc. Figure out how to list Old and SA textures.
Textures and Flats with Eggman
Some of these say "copyrighted Sonic Team Junior." Yes, the design is, but Eggman is originally copyrighted Sega. Should we say that, or should we completely delete the copyright statement for those textures and flats? –SonicMaster 10:37, 29 November 2007 (PST)
Pfft; we're still better than Sprites Inc, who has an entire section of handmade Megaman sprites declared "public domain". That's just a slap in the face to the copyright holders affiliated with those who made the original designs in the first place: Capcom.
Anyways, I wouldn't mind it. The design is copyrighted STJr, sure. Our Copyrights page, however, allows for the idea of elements being copyrighted to someone else. And, also, try thinking of a "courtroom scenario": it's not much of a contest proving that Eggman is Sega's design. There'll be no argument. Heck, we'll voluntarily say that Eggman is Sega's property. Hence, in my opinion a copyright statement needn't go astronomically far, here. (Unless you're dealing with a judge or an attorney who's just crazy!, but I'm not so sure.) --Digiku talk 16:05, 29 November 2007 (PST)
Question about why Digiku wants it to be private.
I think Digiku's, like, on a vacation right now or something, so he can't answer, but here it is: I know you said you wanted to do it yourself because it could affect the outcome of BSZ v2, but how could it affect the outcome? ~Kaysakado • Talk • 01:47, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
Should this page be deleted?
It has a todo list... --Donovansrb10 17:10, 8 July 2010 (UTC)
Will there ever be pictures. I mean, all you have to do is export it from srb2.srb, upload it, and put it in the box by wiki coding it.
I'm not a fan of uploading so don't ask me. --Donovansrb10 17:09, 8 July 2010 (UTC)
Well, that depends on whether anyone can be bothered to upload all of those textures/flats to the Wiki. Remember, you'd be dealing with hundreds of images to upload, not just a few, after all. >_>
And I'm certainly not going to be the one to upload all of them either, anyway... Not when I've already taken the time and effort to update this page all by myself. --Monster Iestyn Talk 17:35, 8 July 2010 (UTC)
If someone wants, I can extract and convert all flats and textures into PNG format and upload it as a Zip package somewhere. Then, if "one" wants to upload into the wiki some few pics, just download my package, choose the files and upload... and so on. Deal? --Ezer'Arch|עֶזֶר'AρχTalk 00:00, 9 July 2010 (UTC)
Deal. Besides, if anybody wants to help on this page in any other way, try to bring some stuff into table formatting. It's so tedious that doing too much of it literally gives you headaches... --SpiritCrusherTalk • Contribs 11:49, 10 July 2010 (UTC)
All flats and textures converted into PNG
But some files weren't converted:
Flat CLIFF6: gives "Scan line index out of range" error. Flat ACZFLR25, EGRIDF1, EGRIDF2 and EGRIDF3: can't be converted into PNG (and XWE can't display them as well).
- Actually, I was already using those. =P Thanks for supplying them. ~Katmint Talk • Contribs 23:32, 15 November 2010 (UTC)
Table of Contents
I removed it since it the article is huge and it takes up a ton of space, but I didn't know about the hide button at the time. I'm still indecisive on whether or not we should include the Table of Contents, because while it may be somewhat useful for finding a section, Ctrl+F works much better for an article like this and having to hide the Table of Contents each visit can be pretty annoying. Basically, I'd personally rather not have a Table of Contents on such a giant article. Does anyone want the Table of Contents back? ~Katmint Talk • Contribs 16:11, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
What to do about all these duplicates?
So, I've been trying to avoid having flats and texture images that are exact duplicates of each other by using the flat image for the duplicate texture (other way around if someone uploaded the texture first), but everyone else is ignoring this and uploading duplicates, sometimes for textures aren't even missing an image. So, the question is, should we delete all the duplicates or ignore them? I'm personally for the former, but I also feel bad wasting the maintainers' time with a request to delete a boatload of images, so I'm split on the issue. ~Katmint Talk • Contribs 17:03, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
- This is a bit late, but the issue was resolved on #srb2fun, the duplicates aren't taking up too much space so it's okay to leave them alone, but I'll still try to not upload any more than we already have. ~Katmint Talk • Contribs 16:00, 7 February 2011 (UTC)
A couple of questions...
I am interested in updating the Flats and Textures lists to include 2.1's new textures. I have a couple of questions on how I should do some of this, however.
- Should the LFZ textures be merged with the CEZ page, as to reflect their current use?
- Should the AP****** textures have their own page (appropriately titled APZ/Acid Plant Zone for its original usage), and if not, then where should they be located?
- Should the NiGHTS textures and Special Stage textures pages be merged? I can understand if this isn't necessary, but I feel that the NiGHTS page is a little redundant.
Hi! Glad to have people taking the initiative to update the wiki at all! =) Now for your questions...
- I'm currently leaning towards "no" here, but you do raise a good point – the issue in general of 2.1's levels containing various themes will have to be addressed eventually.
- Hmm... APZ was intended as a multiplayer stage, so I would lump APZ in the "Multiplayer" page under an "Acid Plant Zone" section personally.
- I don't think it's neccessary to do that, no – not all NiGHTS stages are necessarily Special stages, and likewise not all Special stages are necessarily NiGHTS stages. ...if it's really a problem to have the few NiGHTS textures be their own page though, perhaps they should instead be lumped under the "Generic" page if anything. Well, that's how I feel about it anyway.
- I would say yes. For textures that are used in multiple levels, the single player stages should take precedence (unless the usage isn't characteristic of the level, e.g. the RVZ textures at the end of ACZ1 in 2.0). Thw textures in question might have been used in LFZ first, but since CEZ uses them so prominently now, they should be considered characteristic of CEZ first and foremost. LFZ is now just a regular CEZ1-textured level.
- I agree with MonsterIestyn.
- NiGHTS and the old Special Stages are very different themes, so no.
Hmm, I dunno, the LFZ textures are clearly prefixed with "LFZ" in their names... perhaps it should be noted that they were for Lime Forest Zone originally? --Monster Iestyn Talk 05:50, 6 September 2014 (CDT)
I'm probably going to handle the LFZ by adding a "Leaf Forest Zone" table at the bottom of the page. Thanks for answering!