Botanic Serenity is a level pack for Version 2.0 created by Digiku. Its main stage, Botanic Serenity Zone, is a very detailed and processor-intensive NiGHTS level. It is highly appreciated for its detailed environment, as well as being the first custom NiGHTS stage. Additionally, the pack includes an unlockable map.
Current release information
- Current version: v2.0, Part 1 (August 24, 2010)
- Available at: SRB2 Message Board
- Forum topic for original version: SRB2 Message Board
- Botanic Serenity Zone: This is the main level of the mod. It features a single-mare NiGHTS track as well as seven Chaos Emeralds that are scattered throughout the map.
- The Perception: This level can be unlocked by beating BSZ with all emeralds. The terrain is almost identical to BSZ, but it has a different sky and a four-mare NiGHTS track. In Part 2, it would have also included five emblems to collect for every character.
These unlockables were supposed to be included in the canned Part 2 of Botanic Serenity v2.0.
- Boss level: A boss level that follows after The Perception was planned for the final release, although it would have been different from the boss found in the original version.
- ??? Secret: This secret would have been unlocked by collecting all the emblems in The Perception.
Botanic Serenity dates back to the beginning of the SRB2 v1.08 era, in early 2004. Though actual development time spans across two years, active development time has only taken place for about one year. It has been worked on from January 2004 to August 2004, and then from August 2005 to December 2005. Since then, development time has been on and off.
The original version of Botanic Serenity was released on August 20, 2006. Because Botanic Serenity Zone is a very resource-intensive level, Botanic Serenity was distributed in three versions: High-End, Mid-End, Low-End, with an unofficial Ultra High-End. The High-End version featured the most detailed visuals, but required a high-end PC to run fluently. The Mid-End version featured better performance, at the sacrifice of some visuals. Low-End version sacrificed most of High-End's graphics for the best running speed.
The final unlockable for Botanic Serenity was completed on April 25, 2008, more than one-and-a-half years after the pack's release. It could be obtained using the details provided in the game itself, but it has since been removed.
A Version 2 for Botanic Serenity was first planned in 2008, although it was canceled early on in development. It was focused on improving the performance and rectifying some problems, particularly with the unlockables.
With the release of SRB2ME, work on Botanic Serenity v2.0 was resumed, now focused on updating the level for the new SRB2 release. However, new features were gradually added to the project during development, and the final product featured an overhaul of the visuals and the NiGHTS tracks, new emerald and emblem locations and a jukebox that allows the player to change the music played in the stage.
Part 1 of Botanic Serenity v2.0 was released on August 24th of 2010, approximately four years after the original release. It consists of the main stage and the unlockable The Perception. Unlike its predecessor, it is not distributed in three versions. The only available version is an optimized High-End version that performs similarly to the old Mid-End. Part 2 was supposed to feature emblems for the unlockable, a boss stage, and Match/Tag support, but development on it was stopped and it is unlikely to be finished.