|This article or section is incomplete. It doesn't have all of the necessary core information on this topic. Please help the SRB2 Wiki bythis article.|
|This article or section is badly written and in need of a rewrite. You can help the SRB2 Wiki by Manual of Style.this article to meet with the standards described by the|
SRB2 Community Build, abbreviated as SRB2CB, is a source code modification for SRB2 made by Kalaron. Its goal is to provide an alternative SRB2 engine for both players and modders alike. Its current features include functional slopes, PNG support (full color graphics), bots and extensive improvements to OpenGL rendering, among others. SRB2CB is OpenGL-based, therefore most new features have been designed for or can only be used in OpenGL. The project was started before the release of SRB2 2.0.
Current release information
- Current version: 1.1 (July 05, 2011)
- SRB2 codebase: 2.0.4
- Available at: SRB2 Message Board
- Discussion at: SRB2 Message Board
- SRB2DB config for SRB2CB: Download
Game engine features
OpenGL rendering has been extensively improved and new features have been added for it. Since many of these features only work in OpenGL, Software rendering is unsupported. The game automatically launches in OpenGL, but Software rendering can still be enabled by launching the SRB2CB with the
-software command line parameter.
Revamped OpenGL renderer:
- OpenGL mode is capable of displaying nearly all level effects with little to no visual errors.
- Render optimizations: you can look in all directions with no disappearing objects and the framerate got a 300% boost compared to SRB2's default OpenGL renderer.
- Much richer colormap effects
- Sprite shadows that stay in one direction (enabled using
shadows 1in the console).
- Turning fog mode on is recommended.
- Fog density of at least 64 is also recommended (console
- The game automatically starts in OpenGL mode.
- If the game gives an error when you start it up in windowed mode, try running it in full screen, or try changing SRB2CB's resolution in your
It works with speed sneakers, hitting a red spring, or when falling down at a fast speed. OpenGL only. It can turned on or off via Console.
SRB2CB is capable of rendering PolyObject flats. They are rendered by default. However, mappers can configure a PolyObject's First Line to not render the top and/or bottom of the PolyObject if they wish. If the Bouncy Wall flag is checked on the first line, the PolyObject's bottom will not be rendered. If the Transfer Line flag is checked, the PolyObject's top will not be rendered.
Slope are a key feature unique to SRB2CB. SRB2CB's slopes have collision and physics, on the other hand, they are properly rendering only in OpenGL.
Custom character MD2s and 'on the fly' MD2s are also supported. It's possible to use multiple player MD2s at a time.
As of SRB2CB v1.1, MD2 models can cast shadows, but this feature is still incomplete.
Bots are computer-controlled players that have been programmed to play Co-op and Match, but don't support Race, CTF and Tag. Bots were first introduced in SRB2JTE, but their artificial intelligence has been vastly improved for SRB2CB.
In SRB2CB, they use their abilities in Coop mode and are just a bit smarter in Match mode, they are also stable and are a lot less likely to crash the game. However, Knuckles bots can't climb up walls.
Single Player and Coop
- Not fully working on Single Player. Forcing the game to add them (see SRB2CB/Console) will make the game stop recording data.
- They follow the player.
- They can be helpful. For example, Tails bot can be useful to fly the player over obstacles, just like in S3&K.
- They can collect rings and destroy enemies. They don't go for monitors, but they still can break them.
- General: collect rings and break monitors, but they can't use weapons or emeralds (unless a Recycler Monitor is broken).
- Match and Team Match: they fight the player and each other, even in team match.
- CTF: they can't join the game by their own unless server or game admin enforce it. The team system is not working properly.
- Race: they behave like in Co-op, therefore, no actual race.
- Tag and Hide & Seek: They can't join the game by their own unless server or game admin enforce it. Once joined, they behave like in Match. Tagged bots still try to shoot each other.
In SRB2CB, 6 new colors have been added, raising the total of colors in SRB2 to 21. Furthermore, the ranges of colors Silver and White use have been altered slightly.
- Thing type 36 - Tag IT start
- Thing type 440 - Sonic 3 & K Bubble Shield Monitor
- Thing type 441 - Sonic 3 & K Flame Shield Monitor
- Thing type 442 - Sonic 3 & K Lightning Shield Monitor
- Thing type 570 - Yellow Sideways Spring
- Thing type 571 - Red Sideways Spring
- Thing type 572 - Bumper
- Thing type 573 - Balloon
- Thing type 574 - Respawning Balloon
- Thing type 575 - Big Balloon Fountain
- Thing type 576 - Small Balloon Fountain
- Thing type 580 - Hang-Glider
- Thing type 582 - Skateboard
- Thing type 585 - Particle Fountain
- Thing type 586 - Spiral Particle Fountain
- Thing type 790 - Skybox Viewer
- Thing type 791 - Skybox Centerpoint
For dynamic 2D mode, there are some special objects that allow mappers to more easily align the player to the 2D track!
These are triggered when a player enters a dynamic 2D sector, so these objects must be placed in an "Enable 2D mode" sector to work. Just place these objects to where you want the player to be. These objects automatically teleport the player and do not effect the player's speed.
- Thing type 780 - Aligns only the player's X axis
- Thing type 781 - Aligns only the player's Y axis
- Thing type 782 - Aligns only the player's Z axis
- Thing type 783 - Aligns the player's X and Y axis
- Thing type 784 - Aligns the player's X and Y and Z axis
- Thing type 785 - Aligns the player's Z and X axis
- Thing type 786 - Aligns the player's Z and Y axis
- Linedef type 15 - Floor Scale (Broken)
- Linedef type 80 - Spring Bouncer
- Linedef type 386 - Slope Frontsector Floor
- Linedef type 387 - Slope Frontsector Ceiling
- Linedef type 388 - Slope Frontsector Floor & Ceiling
- Linedef type 389 - Slope Backsector Floor
- Linedef type 390 - Slope Backsector Ceiling
- Linedef type 391 - Slope Backsector Floor & Ceiling
- Linedef type 392 - Slope Backsector Floor & Front Ceiling
- Linedef type 393 - Slope Backsector Ceiling & Front Floor
- Linedef type 394 - Copy Frontsector Floor Slope From Line Tag
- Linedef type 395 - Copy Frontsector Ceiling Slope From Line Tag
- Linedef type 396 - Copy Frontsector Floor & Ceiling Slope From Line Tag
- Linedef type 445 - Set 2D Camera Angle
- Linedef type 446 - Set 2D Camera Distance
- Sector type 240 - Spring Sector
SRB2CB features 9 new actions.
- TX_START support and PNG support while using TX_START.
- Ringcolor console option to turn on/off colored rings.