|This article or section is incomplete. It doesn't have all of the necessary core information on this topic. Please help the SRB2 Wiki bythis article.|
Version 1.08 is an outdated version of SRB2, released on January 1st, 2004. It was originally intended to be the "definitive" patch for Final Demo 1.01, but it eventually grew to include a number of new features of its own.
As the follow-up release, v1.09, was delayed, v1.08 remained current for almost two years, an unusually long time at this point in development. Several critical bugs in v1.08 would remain unfixed during this period, most notably a bug that caused the game to crash if a player left a netgame while being targeted by a Homing Ring.
Beginning with this version, the source code for SRB2 would be included with the installation, which allowed for the first notable source code modifications to be produced. SRB2's source code would continue to be included with the installation for all public releases of SRB2 up to v2.0.
- Multi-thok was removed, restricting Sonic to one thok per jump.
- Progress on Knuckles's proper sprites (which would replace the placeholder sprites from Demo 4.1) had been started; v1.08 included the first finished set of these, Knuckles's standing sprites.
- Power-ups were added for use in NiGHTS mode levels.
- The scripting language SOC, derived from the Doom scripting language DeHackEd, was added. It allowed users to customize parts of the game that were not customizable before, such as map Objects, cutscenes and unlockables. One of the first notable examples of this feature in use was SA-SRB2.
- A "golf" gametype was added as a variation on Single Player/Coop. This gametype prevented the player from jumping or walking, limiting the player to charging up and releasing a spindash; each spindash the player uses counted as a "putt", the total of which was counted in the "Rings" portion of the HUD. A golf stage's par was determined using the Special Stage ring/time requirements sector special. When a golf stage was finished, the results screen would show a black screen displaying the par requirement, the player's total putts and the score bonus awarded. However, this gametype was not widely known of at the time, and was later removed in v1.09.
- The multiplayer roster was changed heavily and new stages were added in an attempt to get 10 stages for each gametype, although CTF had only 8.
- In Match and related gametypes, hitting a player equipped with a shield now gave you the full 50 points instead of 25 points. Additionally, a 50 point penalty for dying in Match was introduced.
- Ice Hockey Zone was added as a gimmick stage to test out a variation of CTF. It was designed to be played by two opposing teams who must try to push a snowman onto the opposing team's goal. However, a bug in v1.08 rendered the stage unplayable, as once a single goal was scored, the snowman would not be movable on respawn. Ice Hockey Zone and the experimental gametype itself would both be removed in v1.09.
- Two new skin colors were added: Black and Yellow.
Single Player levels
- MAP01: Greenflower Zone Act 1
- MAP02: Greenflower Zone Act 2
- MAP03: Greenflower Zone Act 3
- MAP04: Techno Hill Zone Act 1
- MAP05: Techno Hill Zone Act 2
- MAP06: Techno Hill Zone Act 3
- MAP07: Castle Eggman Zone Act 1
- MAP08: Castle Eggman Zone Act 2
- MAP09: Castle Eggman Zone Act 3
- MAP29: Spring Hill Zone
- MAP30: Mario Koopa Blast Zone Act 1
- MAP31: Mario Koopa Blast Zone Act 2
- MAP32: Mario Koopa Blast Zone Act 3
- MAP40: Christmas Hunt Zone
- MAP42: Adventure Example Zone
- MAP50-MAP56: Special Stages
- MAP70: Flying Shrine Zone
- MAP71: Woodland Panic Zone
- MAP72: Ring Lake Zone
- MAP73: Block Factory Zone
- MAP74: Slime Canyon Zone
- MAP75: Submerged Sanctum Zone
- MAP76: Conveyor Chaos Zone
- MAP77: Air Haven Zone
- MAP78: Tag Valley Zone
- MAP79: Crystal Void Zone
Capture the Flag stages
- MAP80: Lime Forest Zone
- MAP81: Dual Fortress Zone
- MAP82: Vine Cavern Zone
- MAP83: Iron Turret Zone
- MAP84: Twin Hills Zone
- MAP85: Cloud Palace Zone
- MAP86: Nimbus Ruins Zone
- MAP87: Iron Warehouse Zone
- MAP90: Airborne Temple Zone
- MAP91: Meadow Match Zone
- MAP92: Starlit Warehouse Zone
- MAP93: Green Upheaval Zone
- MAP94: Midnight Abyss Zone
- MAP95: Techno Isle Zone
- MAP96: Zero Ring Zone
- MAP97: Zim's Base Zone
- MAP98: Sapphire Falls Zone
- MAP99: Chaos Space Zone
- MAPA0: Ice Hockey Zone
Archived Versions - srb2.org - Information and download
|Pre-demo||SRB2 TGF • SRB2 Halloween • SRB2 Christmas|
|Demo||Demo 1 • Demo 2 • Demo 3 • Demo 4 • Demo 4.32-4.35 • SRB2 2k3|
|Final Demo||Final Demo 1.01-1.04 • Final Demo 1.08 • Final Demo 1.09-1.09.2 • Final Demo 1.09.3-1.09.4|
|Post-demo||Match beta • Version 2.0 • Version 2.1 • In development|