Ultimate mode is a special difficulty level accessed by typing
ultimate on the title screen's main menu, running the game with the
-ultimatemode command line parameter, by selecting Ultimate Mode in the Marathon Run menu, or by entering the Konami Code with a controller while in the "No File" character selection. When
ultimate is typed on the title screen, the "No file" save slot on the Select Game screen is automatically swapped with the "Ultimate mode" slot, which allows the game to be played in Ultimate mode. Typing
ultimate again will undo this, restoring the slot to normal. With a controller, entering the button inputs
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → then, pressing
B will cause the file select to reappear. Then, pressing
A will activate Ultimate mode. Re-entering the code will undo this. Like the slot it replaces, the game will not be saved during the entire playthrough, so will have to be restarted from the beginning if the player dies. Ultimate mode differs from the normal game in these ways:
- The player starts with one life and no continues.
- All rings and ring monitors are removed.
- All shield monitors are removed.
- Extra life monitors will not give extra lives despite still being present in the game. When popped, they will instead play an error sound to indicate that they do nothing.
- Both types of Jetty-Syns (and any other Objects using
A_JetChase) will have doubled speed and fly higher above the target player.
- Both types of Buzzes (and any other objects using
A_BuzzFly) will be 1.25 times faster.
- All Objects using the actions
A_BrakFireShotwill have half the usual reaction time set afterwards.
Beating specific levels, or clearing the whole game a specific amount of times, in Ultimate mode can be used as custom unlockable conditions. Beating the game in Ultimate mode does not give any rewards in unmodified SRB2 however.
|Game modes||Campaign • Ultimate mode • Marathon Run • Record Attack/NiGHTS Mode • Multiplayer|
|Gametypes||Single Player/Co-op • Competition • Race • Match/Team Match • Tag/Hide & Seek • Capture the Flag|
|Level types||Supplementary: 2D mode • Mario mode • NiGHTS|
Other: Special Stage • Emerald Hunt