Level design is one of the most important aspects of modding SRB2. This article lists all tutorials and references you need to learn how to create your own custom levels.
- Zone Builder tutorial – This tutorial will teach you the basics of making your own stage in Zone Builder.
- Level header – This article explains how to make level headers, which are used to give your map a name, music, sky and other details that cannot be set in the level editor itself.
- Level Design 101 – After getting familiar with the level editor, you need to learn how to make your map fun to play. This article is a guide on how to build good maps, and covers many basic editing guidelines, such as object placement, appropriate level size, visuals, and other very important information.
The following are tutorials to make more complicated parts of SRB2 stages. Make sure you have a basic grasp of level editing before reading these, as they assume you already know how to make a stage and just want to add more complicated features to your stage.
Proper usage of these techniques is essential to making interesting stages with a variety of gimmicks.
- Egg Capsule tutorial – How to make an Egg Capsule appear after a boss is defeated in your stage. This is generally a better way to conclude a boss battle than simply ending when the boss is defeated.
- Joining and merging sectors – How to optimize your map and improve framerate by lowering the number of sectors in your stage without actually removing any details.
- Linedef executor tutorial – How to use linedef executors, a sort of in-map scripting system that allows you to make interactive stages with parts that move or interact with the player or Objects, such as buttons and traps. This is a crucial part of knowing how to make complex level gimmicks.
- Metal Sonic race tutorial – How to set up a Metal Sonic race.
- Moving platforms tutorial – How to make platforms that move up and down on their own or rise or sink when the player steps on them.
- Multi-property FOF – How to make an FOF with different textures, effects and flags on each side.
- NiGHTS tutorial – How to make your own NiGHTS stage.
- Pegging – How to peg textures using the Lower Unpegged, Upper Unpegged and Peg Midtexture flags. This allows you to create grass edgings for your platforms and other visual effects. This is essential to help the player see the edges of platforms in some stages.
- PolyObject tutorial – How to create PolyObjects, which are like FOFs that can move horizontally and rotate.
- Pusher tutorial – How to make wind, water currents, and other pushing and pulling effects.
- Reverse gravity tutorial – How to use reverse gravity.
- Rope hang tutorial – How to use hangable ropes, like the rope pulley gimmick seen in Arid Canyon Zone Act 1.
- Scroller tutorial – How to make scrollers that scroll walls and planes as well as carry players with them, like conveyor belts.
- Sector-based spike tutorial – How to make sector-based spikes, which can be used to make retractable spikes and spiked crushers.
- Slope – How to make slopes.
- Stacking multiple FOFs – How to put multiple FOFs on top of each other. This can also be used for any other situations where multiple effects are applied to the same sector.
- Timed linedef executor – How to set up linedef executors to trigger with a time delay, for periodic or delayed effects. For complex linedef executor gimmicks, adding a time delay is often crucial.
- Water design – How to use water and other liquids, such as slime and lava. This also explains how to use colormaps to tint the liquid with a color.
- Zoom tube tutorial – How to set up zoom tubes, like in Egg Rock Zone, that have the player dash through a small tube.
- Custom Object tutorial – How to create custom Objects, such as scenery items or enemies.
- Custom textures tutorial (SLADE) – How to add custom textures and flats to a file with SLADE.
- Custom textures tutorial (XWE) – How to add custom textures and flats to a file with XWE.
- Custom unlockables and emblems – How to add custom unlockables and emblems for level packs.
- Cutscene – How to add cutscenes, either between levels or replacing the intro or credits.
- Level select picture tutorial – How to add level select pictures for levels to a file.
- Sound and music tutorial – How to add custom music and sound effects to a file.
These reference articles list specific information that you might need during level design.
- Flats and textures – Lists all flats and textures, categorized in themes.
- Glossary – This is a listing of the more technical terms that people use when describing editing (including level design) in SRB2 and their definitions.
- Map – Explains the technical structure of a map.
- Thing types – Lists all the Thing types and their respective articles.
- Linedef types – Lists all the linedef types and their respective articles.
- Sector types – Lists all the sector types and their respective articles.
- Reserved tags – Lists all reserved sector tags that have special hardcoded properties.
- List of music – Lists all music.
- List of skies – Lists all skies.
- List of sounds – Lists all sound effects.