Deep Sea Zone Act 1
|Single Player levels|
|MAP07: Deep Sea Zone Act 1|
|Capture the Flag stages|
MAP07, Deep Sea Zone Act 1, abbreviated as DSZ1, is the first act of Deep Sea Zone, the third zone in Sonic Robo Blast 2 v2.1. It takes place in underground caverns and ruins, which are partially submerged in water. Staying underwater for more than 30 seconds will make you drown. To prevent this, grab air from the air bubble patches that are scattered throughout the level. The level features gimmicks such as rising water that floods the room, platforms that float in periodically rising and falling water, and pushable Gargoyles that can be used to open doors.
DSZ1 introduces two new enemies: the Jet Jaw, a fish enemy that chases the player, and the Skim, an enemy that floats on the water surface and drops bombs. A common obstacle is the Big Floating Mine, which explodes on contact with the player.
You start off in a room with two exits. One is to your left and one is on top of the room. You can't climb the walls as Knuckles, so you have to use the proper path. Stepping into the water or even jumping over it floods the room.
Jump into the water in front of you and go to your left. You will encounter two crusher rows. Jump through them when they open to avoid getting crushed. You will then get to a big underwater room. Here you can choose from two paths with one extra path for Knuckles.
To your left you can see a platform moving vertically. Jump onto it when it's down and jump on the ledge in front of you once it's up. Then proceed along the ledge and do the same on the other side of the room. Now, proceed until you get to a staircase on your left. You can then exit the room via another staircase and reach a Star Post. In front of you is now a pool of water with platforms over it. Jump over the platforms and exit the room via a waterslide. You end up in a large room with slowly rising and falling water with platforms floating on the surface. You can cross this room either via the stationary ledges or the platforms floating in the water. Simply try to get as high as possible and you will find an opening leading to the next Star Post. Jump into the water and pass a room full of spikes with mines over them. The next room is similar, but this time Jet Jaws serve as enemies. After this room the paths merge.
Below you is a ledge. Jump onto it and turn right to see an exit. In front of you should now be a sort of bridge over a field of spikes. Proceed forward, avoiding the spikes, until you come to a red spring leading upwards. The next part involves pushing gargoyles onto buttons to open the door. In the first room you must push a gargoyle forward onto the red button. In the next room, you must push two out of six gargoyles onto a button. After that, you have to push two gargoyles onto yellow springs to land on pillars that open the door. Don't stand in their way when they fly, or they will miss their goal. In the fourth room, you must push one of three gargoyles off its pillar and onto a vertically moving platform to push it onto the button. When the door opens, take the spring to the last room. It consists of a water current with four bars blocking your way. Push a gargoyle into the water to make it break a bar. You now end up in a big semicircular room with a V-shaped statue in front of you. The exit is to your right. Here the path merges with the upper path.
Climb up the left wall where the rings are located. You will eventually get to some breakable blocks leading to a Star Post. Climb up the blocked door to your left and turn right. Now jump to the basin in front of you. If you fall into the water, jump to the pillar that it leads to. Then jump to the next basin, jump forward and stick to the wall on your left. You can see a greenish pillar to your left, climb down until you see an opening and climb to your right. Then just proceed until you get to a split and take the right way. You will then come to a column of springs leading to an Elemental Shield and a waterslide. You will then enter the big flooded room of the upper route.
Go around the empty fountain at the start. In front of you is a ledge with a row of rings on it. Jump to that ledge and follow the row rings to your right. A series of platforms will lead you on a bridge that leads to a staircase on the other side of the room. Run up the staircase and take the yellow springs. You must now cross another bridge to the other side of the room. Avoid the holes in the floor. On the other side is a yellow spring that leads up to a series of crumbling platforms. Jump over these platforms quickly before they fall to reach the room's exit and a Star Post.
Turn right to cross a tunnel with water dropping from the ceiling that leads to a big semicircular room. Proceed forward until you get to the exit with the Star Post. You now have to cross a pool full of Skims. Jump through the hole in the fence in front of you and then go into the water. Turn right and go through the door in front of you. Jump over the spikes in the next room. Now you have to follow a convoluted path underwater. Don't stop too long for water or will get bombed by Skims. Once you reach the end, jump out of water and to the exit on your right. You now stand on a floor that crumbles after a few seconds leading into an underwater section where you have to avoid mines. Go through the little hole in the wall to reach the point where both paths merge.
Go under the wall to reach a path with rising and falling water with four consecutive platforms on it. You can either jump onto the platforms and jump off before they crush you against the ceiling or walk under them when they're up. At the end of the room is the last platform. You need to jump on top of it to get to a Star Post and another spring. In the next room you have to cross a bridge consisting of crumbling platforms. Once you reach the other side and turn left. Jump over the big square platforms to reach a staircase. Now jump between the crushers and finish the level.
Points of interest
- When taking the upper route of the left path, push one of the gargoyles into the waterslide that leads into the big room with rising and falling water. You will notice a green platform that sticks out from the floor. Push the gargoyle onto it to open a secret path that contains an extra life. You can also take a gargoyle from Knuckles' path.
- (Knuckles only) Instead of taking the right way in the wall puzzle of Knuckles' route, take the left. You will reach a ledge. Climb up in the middle of it to reach a room with an extra life.
- In the big semicircular room where two paths merge, turn right at the exit to find a ledge with two ring boxes and a yellow spring. Jump onto it and proceed to the extra life.
- In the room where the paths merge for the last time, stand on the second of the three rising and falling platforms and jump off to the left just before getting crushed.
- In the last big room, stand on the edge of the bridge and jump to the ledge in front of you. Take the spring to an extra life.
- In the same room, instead of jumping onto the big square platforms, go forward to a little wall you can spindash through. Here hides another extra life.
- At the bottom of the last room, below the exit, there is a door that is blocked by rocks. Knuckles can break these rocks, which will lead to the room being flooded. Follow the now opened corridor to reach a room with two Super Ring Monitors, a Whirlwind Shield and an extra life.
- (Knuckles only) Another set of extra lives becomes available after flooding the last room by breaking the rocks. Up against the wall adjacent from the destructible rocks is a small part of the floor that's just barely elevated. This is actually a button that can be pressed down by one of the Gargoyles perched in front of the path to the goal. Push a Gargoyle onto the button, and a path will open up in front of you. Normally, the path will lead to a dead end; however, by breaking the aforementioned rocks and flooding the room, the wall at the end of the path will float up, allowing you to continue. At the end of the path is a spring that will take you up to a room with shallow water. Every wall in this room is unclimbable except for the wall covered in vines directly in front of you. Water will periodically fall along this wall in a predictable pattern: one in the middle, then one on each side. If the water hits you, you'll be knocked back and fall to the bottom, forcing you to start from the beginning. Avoid the water as you climb up the wall and you'll eventually reach a large room with a fountain at the center. Inside the fountain are six extra life monitors. Be careful not to jump into the water in one of the four corners before grabbing the extra lives, as there is nothing but a bottomless pit and the walls are unclimbable. Going down the path to the right will lead you to the second Skim room in the upper route.
- In the beginning room, you can see some gray rocks on the right wall. Break them as Knuckles to find an Elemental Shield.
- Take the upper path in the first room. A Whirlwind Shield is located on the second bridge, in plain sight. Avoid falling through the hole in the floor next to it.
- In the room after you exit the starting room through the upper path, you can see several pillars with Gargoyles on top of them. Spindash through the middle pillar to gain an Armageddon Shield.
- In the big flooded room where the routes split in the left path, on the far wall in front of you, an Elemental Shield can be grabbed to the left.
- In the second basin of Knuckles' route lies an Armageddon Shield.
- At the end of Knuckles' route, there is an Elemental Shield in plain sight.
- After you exit the big room of the left path through the upper route, you have to jump across platforms over a pool of water. To the left of the third platform is a small cave with a Whirlwind Shield.
- Just before you exit the spike room of the lower route of the left path, jump down to your left to get an Elemental Shield.
- In the big semicircular room, jump into the water just to the right of the platform leading to an extra life. An Elemental Shield is hidden behind some seaweed.
- When taking the upper path, in the first room with the Skims, do not go right after jumping into the water after the second set of bars. Instead, jump to the ledge in front of you (as Sonic, you will need a Whirlwind Shield for this). In front of you, you can see two ledges with spikes on them. The left one contains an Elemental Shield.
- When taking the upper path, after the second room with Skims, quickly run over the crumbling platform to get an Attraction Shield. This is useful to get the floating rings below the platform, but you will lose it directly after that in the water.
- In the first room, a Super Sneakers monitor is located in the front right corner of the room from the starting point, next to the platform with the railing.
- In the big underwater room of the left path, a Super Sneakers monitor is in plain sight after the first moving platform.
- At the start of the lower route of the left path, a Super Sneakers monitor is located at the start of the bridge that leads over a field of spikes.
- On the upper path, a Super Sneakers monitor is located in front of the entrance to the flooded hallway that leads to the big semicircular room.
- On the upper path, after entering the underwater door in the room with Skims, there are pillars with gargoyles on top of them to both sides. A Super Sneakers monitor is hidden behind the middle one on the left side.
- On the upper path, in the underwater room with Skims that leads up to the crumbling bridge, the underwater path splits off to the left at the start. Follow that split to reach a Super Sneakers monitor.
- On the left path, in the underwater section with spikes and mines, a Super Sneakers monitor is located on the leftmost pillar in the room. Only Tails and Knuckles can reach it.
- In the final room, where the bridge makes it final left turn, there is a ruin of a house to the right of it. If you between the corners of the two walls, you will land on a platform containing a Super Sneakers monitor.
- When taking the left path at the beginning, you can see a bustable wall to your right after the second crusher row. In there, you'll find two Super Ring Monitors and an Invincibility Monitor.
- In the Skim section after the semicircular room, you can see a green snake-like formation on the floor. Press the red button on top of it to open a cave to your left containing an Invincibility Monitor and three Super Ring Monitors.
- Just before the spike room of the left path, there is an Invincibility Monitor in plain sight, allowing you to cross that section with ease.