Techno Hill Zone Act 2
|Single Player levels|
|MAP05: Techno Hill Zone Act 2|
|Capture the Flag stages|
MAP05, Techno Hill Zone Act 2, abbreviated as THZ2, is the second act of Techno Hill Zone, the second zone in Sonic Robo Blast 2 v2.2. It takes place in the factory the player entered in the first act, but now at nighttime and surrounded by city buildings. It is longer and more complex than the first act, featuring more advanced obstacles involving the buoyant goo as well as crushers.
THZ2 also features two additional enemies, both of which cannot be harmed by normal means: Detons are spherical enemies that chase the player and explode on contact; they must be lured into walls to be destroyed. The Turret shoots rapid-fire projectiles that the player must take cover from, and it can only be destroyed by being crushed or submerged.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Points of interest
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Technical data
You start out in a small corridor, with a larger room in front of you. At the end of the room in front of you is a discoloured, cracked part of the wall that Knuckles can break open. Going into the room this reveals will lead you to Knuckles' Turret path, an optional path that only Knuckles can traverse.
To the right of your starting point, the room is divided by a large wall with glass windows, and the exit is on the other side. The wall can only be passed from below, by jumping into one of the two goo pools next to it. However, if you jump in from the floor level, you will have too little momentum and bounce back up before reaching the bottom of the wall. To gain additional momentum, you must jump from the ledge to the left of the entrance, which can be reached via gas jets from the pipe next to it.
After passing the wall and reaching the surface on the other side, enter the corridor in front of you. Jump over the electrified floor and drop down the hole. You will reach a room with a pool of goo in front of you and a conveyor belt behind it, where the path splits. To go down the piston path, jump into the pool. To access the barricade path, jump over the pool and follow the conveyor belt into another room.
The goo has a current that will take you into a second goo pool to your left. Within this pool, there will be an entrance to a tunnel, again to your left, which is also filled with goo. Wade through the tunnel and jump over the goo pool at the end of it. In front of you is now a wide hallway that makes a U-turn, with a bundle of pipes running along the side of it. At the end of the hallway, charge a maximum spindash and make your way up the slope. This should launch you past a goo pool and under a bridge, landing you in a room with the first Star Post. If you didn't spindash, you'll probably fall into the goo which will slow you down but won't prevent you from making your way forward.
Walk forward and turn left, and you will see a series of platforms extending from the wall. Large pistons move back and forth sideways over these platforms, periodically blocking the path. Jump over the platforms while the pistons are receding to avoid being pushed into the goo pool below. There are small ledges attached to the platforms that you can safely stand on while the pistons are extending. After four of these platforms, you will reach the exit of the room and cross the bridge you passed under earlier. In front of you is a steep drop. Below it is a long corridor filled with goo that extends to the left, and a conveyor belt running through it. Jump down onto the conveyor belt and follow it to the end. Use the crates floating in the goo to reach the floor in front of you. In this room, there is an opening high up in the wall in front of you that connects to the last room of the barricade path. The exit of the room is now to your right, but it is up high and can only be reached via a set of pipes that is too high to jump on directly. Instead, turn around to your left to find a pipe with a gas jet that leads up to a platform from which you can reach the pipes. After walking across them, you will reach a room with the second Star Post.
When the conveyor belt ends, jump off to your left. You will end up on an alcove with a box overlooking a goo-filled room. Jump down to the floor in front of you. Make your way to the other side of the room then use the small pipe sticking out of the floor to reach the top of the crates to your left, then jump from those crates onto the gas jet. Turn to your left while using the gas jet to see a platform that you must land on. After landing on the platform, turn left again to see a barricade separating the room from another one. Jump onto the top of the barrier. From there, you can dive straight into the goo in front of you. If you follow the rings, you will end up sinking into a hole, with a small gap to your right at the bottom of the goo. Go through that gap to rise out of the goo and land on a platform with the first Star Post.
To your right, there will be a set of boxes you can reach from this platform. Use the crates to get to the conveyor to your left. Go against the conveyor until you see a ledge to your left with a gap in the railings. Jump through this gap and land on the ledge. Kill the Buzz here. Make your way to the glass wall then turn around to find a slope you can use to hitch a ride on another conveyor. Go against this conveyor and jump over the electrified floor, then jump into the opening to your left where it ends. Get on the new conveyor here and follow it, jumping over both electrified surfaces. It will take you to a room with boxes and a Buzz to kill, and an exit to your right. Go through it to find a new room filled with goo. To your right, there is an opening high up in the wall which connects to the last room of the piston path. In front of you, you can use the boxes to cross the goo, but be careful of the Spring Shell patrolling the third box. At the fourth crate, there will be a platform to your right which leads to a room where you can find the second Star Post to your left.
Knuckles' Turret path
Knuckles' Turret path begins with a room with nothing but a lone Super Ring Monitor in front of you. As Knuckles, however, you can cling to the conveyor belt on the left wall and follow it to reach a complicated-looking room. Almost nothing in this room is climbable, save for a single wall that allows you to recover if you fall into the goo. Look to your right to see a pool of goo with two tilted wall-mounted conveyors too high to reach. Go back to the conveyor you came from and use the slope to gain enough height and reach the wall conveyor closest to you. Cling to it, follow it, then jump off and glide into the one opposite you and follow it. Let this conveyor carry you off of it and into the goo pool to your left, where you will sink. Once at the bottom of your trajectory, you may notice a downwards-facing wall conveyor that you must cling to and follow. When it launches you off, make your way to the area opposite you in the goo that you could not access beforehand, then turn around to see that the conveyor loops around and faces up on the other side. Cling to the conveyor and follow it all the way to the ceiling, then detach from it with spin and glide into the opening to your right. Press the button in this corridor, then turn around and go back to the goo room. Jump into the now nearly drained pool until you resurface, then hop onto the platform to your left. Make your way through the corridor, but be careful not to be sent into the spiked ceiling by the Spring Shells, then turn right when the platform you're running on turns right. You will find the first Star Post and a Turret, an automatic sentry which intermittently shoots speedy shots at you then pauses to recharge for a few seconds.
Go to the first Star Post and wait for the Turret to shoot at you. You will be shielded from its fire by a glass wall to your right. Once it has fired off its entire salvo, quickly make your way and cling to the wall-mounted conveyor belt to your left, then move right on the belt to reach the darkened area, protected by a block supported by the conveyor belt, while the Turret charges. During this entire journey, you must make sure to press down to remain on the conveyor belt, as it is constantly carrying you up and will launch you off if you go too far off. At the darkened area, the Turret should now start shooting. Jump off the belt and cling to the block which is shielding you from the Turret's shots and wait out the sentry. When it starts recharging, climb up and off the block and glide to the other block at the opposite end of the room. Climb up and over it, then turn around and cling to the back of this block. Wait out the Turret fire on the block. As soon as it finishes, jump off the block and cling to the conveyor behind you. Follow it and jump off when you're above the platform with yellow hazard tape. Run to the button on this platform as fast as possible, as it is behind another glass wall that will shield you from the lasers of Eggman's defender. If press the button, the Turret will shortly be submerged and destroyed for good, and a door will open that will allow you to progress. After the button, turn to your right to find a room with a conveyor belt. Hop on the conveyor belt and follow it, and you'll rejoin the piston path at the goo-filled room with a large conveyor belt running through it.
This room is merely a quick break before the next section. In front of you is an elevator which will take you to the Turret path. To your left is a room which leads to the conveyor path.
Once you step into the elevator, it will move downwards and allow you to enter the room in front of you. This room is guarded by a Turret, which will intermittently shoot rapid-fire projectiles at you and then reload for a few seconds. You must reach the exit located behind the Turret while dodging its fire. Stay in the elevator until the Turret stops firing and then go to your right. Jump to the platform in the goo pool and hide behind the crate while the Turret fires once more. Then, jump to the platform to your right and run up the staircase to reach the exit. Next to the exit is a button. If you press it, a crane will drop a large block onto the Turret and crush it. However, this is not necessary to advance. In the next room, the paths rejoin.
Enter the room. Step on the conveyor belt in front of you and follow it, avoiding the Buzzes. At the end of the conveyor belt are four crushers that come down at different intervals. Walk under them at the right moment to avoid being crushed and then jump off the conveyor belt. To your right is a door that leads towards the room where the paths rejoin.
After the paths have rejoined, walk across either of the two bridges in front of you to reach the third Star Post. Step on the platform in front of you, which will move downwards into the next room. Here, the path splits again. Following the conveyor belt that extends towards the left will lead you to the crusher path, but using the Spring Shell to reach the higher ledge in front of you will lead to the Deton path.
The conveyor belt leads into a corridor with two crushers. Avoid the crushers and jump off at the end of the conveyor to reach a large outdoor room that is mostly covered by goo. Another conveyor belt in front of you leads to a platform with two pillars on it. Turn to your left and use the crate floating in the goo to reach the ledge behind it. At the end of the ledge, turn around and follow the slope up to two diagonal springs. These springs lead to a second set of springs, which are located on the pillars you just passed. Use this chain of springs to get to the high platform in front of you.
After landing on the platform, you will see a large glass wall in front of you and a moving platform behind it. To reach that platform, you must dive into the goo pool and then move forward to pass under the glass wall. On the other side, let the goo bounce you onto the platform in front of you. From there, jump onto the moving platform and ride it to the top. Then, jump off to your right to enter a hallway with a goo river in the middle. Follow the hallway until you reach another outdoor room with a platform extending to the right. Maneuver around the electrified floors to reach a gas jet, then turn left once you reach the platform it launches you to. Here the paths rejoin and you will find the fourth Star Post.
It's worth noting that this path can be reached by jumping off the elevator to your right at the top. Once up the ledge, avoid the electrified floors and go against the conveyor belt that crosses the room to enter the building in front of you. Jump off to the right at the end to reach the next room. Walk into the dark crate-filled room to find the entrance to a hallway straight ahead. Be careful before entering this hallway, because it contains Detons. These enemies will make an alarm sound and charge at you when they see you, and explode upon coming in contact with you or a wall. You cannot harm them by normal means, so you must outrun them and lure them into an obstacle. Behind the crates to your left in this room is a Super Ring Monitor, which may be of use against the Detons.
As soon as you enter the hallway, run at full speed, because the first Deton is to the right of the entrance. Quickly run to the left and hide behind the crate at the end of the hallway to shake it off. Then turn to your right. In front of you is another Deton, which will only see you when you move out from behind the crate. Quickly step to your left or right to reveal yourself, and then immediately step back behind the crate. The Deton will crash into the crate, allowing you to continue. A third Deton hides behind the next right turn, so go into it carefully and immediately move back behind the wall onto the Deton spots you. Afterwards, the path will be clear and you can walk to the exit.
You will drop down to another hallway, with an arrow of rings pointing to the right. Another Deton hides in the shadows to your left, so immediately turn right and follow the hallway, avoiding the Spring Shells in your way. At the end of the hallway, you will cross a small bridge that leads into another building with a goo river. Follow the river to an outdoor room where the path extends to the left. Follow it and avoid the electrified floor, then turn left. Here the paths rejoin.
You will see a goo pool and a large building in front of you to your right. Follow the path, avoiding the Buzz and the gap after the right turn, and you will enter a dark room with two elevator shafts and the fourth Star Post.
One of the elevators has descended, so jump down into the hole left by it. Go through the open door down the corridor then turn left and follow the hallway to your left afterwards. You will reach a goo pool guarded by a tall dam. Inside the goo pool is an underwater button that will raise the goo, allowing you to reach the top of the dam. However, to reach down to it, you need additional momentum. To your left is a platform with two pumps that move up and down. Jump onto one of the pumps and jump off once it reaches its highest point. This will give you enough momentum to hit the button, raising the goo and propelling you to the top of the dam. You will find yourself in a large indoor room covered in goo, with a bridge leading forward. The fifth Star Post is on this bridge.
To your left, you can see a high-up ledge with an entrance. Your goal is to reach that entrance. Follow the bridge and jump onto the pipe at the end of it, which will allow you to jump over the wall to your left. Should you have fallen from the bridge into the large goo pool below, look for a corridor to the right of the bridge. Follow the corridor until you reach a staircase that leads to dry land. From there, you can pass under the bridge, avoid an electrified floor, and use a steam jet to propel you over the wall. Behind the wall is another goo pool with a conveyor belt at the far end. Use the crates floating in the goo to jump onto the conveyor belt and follow it. You may wish to kill the Buzz here. At the end of it is a row of springs that will propel you to a higher ledge. Next to the ledge is a moving platform that leads upwards. Ride it to the top to reach the ledge with the entrance. Go through the entrance to end up on a platform installed above a large electrified surface. There will be a floating platform in front of you. Wait for it to descend, then jump on it. Turn left or right and wait for the platform to ascend, then jump onto the platform it meets. While that one rises, turn back to the center of the room and make your way onto the final floating platform that yours meets. To your left or right, the platform will lead to a ledge that leads into a final room with large windows. Jump onto the ledge and head to the end of the room. The Level End Sign is to your right.
Points of interest
|spoiler, an unlockable, or a secret. Please leave the page if you do not wish to view spoilers.|
- On the piston path, look to your right at the large conveyor belt in the goo-filled room instead of following it. The bottom of the wall there is cracked. Knuckles or Amy can break it to access an Attraction Shield and a Super Ring Monitor. Knuckles' Turret path connects to this room if you follow the normal route.
- On the barricade path, there is a room with an opening that connects to the final room in the piston path. Next to this opening is an alcove up high with an Attraction Shield.
- If you took the Deton path, before entering the building with the Detons, jump off the conveyor belt to your left. Hidden behind the last beam is an Attraction Shield.
- After entering the large building with two elevators, an Attraction Shield stands on the elevator that is still raised.
- The second Deton on the Deton path is stationed next to a locked door, which is opened by a button guarded by the third Deton. Once they are both dealt with, you can open this door to reveal a Force Shield.
- In the Turret path, a Force Shield sits right behind the Turret. Press the button to destroy the Turret and then pop the monitor.
- Take the crusher path. On the third silo to your left after jumping off the conveyor belt is a Force Shield.
- In the large conveyor belt hallway down the piston path, look at the goo-filled tunnel to the left of you, which you went through earlier. Behind the second segment of it, you will see a platform with an Armageddon Shield. Tails and Knuckles can easily get over the tunnel, but Sonic can access it only with a well-timed thok after jumping off the bridge, or with a Whirlwind Shield's double jump.
- In the piston path, don't turn left after making it past the four pistons. Turn right instead to see a raised ledge which can be reached with the nearby Spring Shell. Follow the path laid out by the ledges, avoiding the electrified floors and gaps, to reach two Super Ring Monitors. At these monitors, turn around. The first pillar to your right contains an Armageddon Shield.
- Where the crusher and Deton paths recombine, look to the right side of the goo pool in front of you. At the bottom of the pool are four Super Ring Monitors and an Armageddon Shield, each with a column of rings above it. There are two ways you can grab the Armageddon Shield:
- If you have an Elemental Shield, position yourself right above the central column of rings, then use the shield's jump-spin ability to dive into the goop and grab the monitor you want.
- If you do not have an Elemental Shield, you can still reach the monitors from the glass platform that stands out from the center of the pool. To reach that platform, turn around from the pool and you will see a platform with a diagonal red spring on it. To the left of the platform is a pipe with a gas jet that you cannot reach. In order to reach it, you will need to turn left and go down the hallway that leads from the crusher path until you find a Spring Shell. Use it to get up to the pipe on your left, then turn around and follow the pipe back to where the gas jet was. Use the gas jet to reach the spring, jump off the platform, and claim the shield.
- In the large factory with the fifth Star Post near the end, after having pressed the button to reach the top of the dam, turn right. On the far side of the room you will see an area with a series of small blocks that are mounted by Spring Shells. Go to this area. At the floor level, there is another Spring Shell. You must bounce up this chain of Spring Shells to reach a ledge with two Super Ring Monitors, an Armageddon Shield, and an extra life.
- After wading through the goo-filled tunnel near the beginning of the piston path, you will reach a hallway with a bundle of pipes running through. One of the pipes contains a gas jet that leads up to a higher set of pipes. A Whirlwind Shield can be found there.
- Straight after the Turret room in Knuckles' Turret path, there is a Whirlwind Shield suspended above the conveyor belt. Spindash into or use your hammer on the springs on the other side of the entrance from the Turret room to get it, or just climb up the nearby walls.
- In the underground cave after the broken elevator, jump behind the opened door that leads into the tunnel. You will find a Whirlwind Shield, which will also allow you to get out from behind the door.
- After the conveyor with four crushers down the conveyor path is a bridge going over a pool of goo. In this goo pool is a Whirlwind Shield.
- After entering the room with the second Star Post, look to your left to find a discoloured section of the wall with a rusted ceiling tile. Knuckles can climb up this wall to break the ceiling tile and get an Elemental Shield.
- After raising the goo and crossing the bridge in the final area, a conveyor belt runs over a goo pool. Within this pool is a hole concealing a button. This button opens a door that you'll find by going against the conveyor next to a Super Ring Monitor. In the room this door leads to is a red spring which will launch you high enough to access an opening in the wall opposite the room. This opening contains an Elemental Shield.
- The electrified floors after coming from the crusher path hold an Elemental Shield above them in the corner. Be careful collecting it, because the shield does not protect you from electrical hazards.
- Down the piston path, the walls to your left and right after jumping off the long conveyor in the final hallway are breakable as Knuckles or Amy. Behind the one to the right is an Elemental Shield and a Super Ring Monitor.
- Down the barricade path, don't jump into the goo after the barrier. Instead, jump to the dry land on the opposite end. On this platform is a gas jet which can launch you up a stack of crates adorned with an Elemental Shield.
- At the start of the Deton path where there's a conveyor you must go against to reach the Deton hallway, don't go on the conveyor. There is a wall with a sloped floor above it in front of you. On top of this sloped floor is an Elemental Shield.
- After passing the wall via the goo pools in the very first room, look behind the pool that is further away from the corridor to find a Super Sneakers monitor.
- In the room with the third Star Post, turn around. Between the two entrances from the previous room is an alcove with a Super Sneakers monitor surrounded by eight rings.
- If you took the crusher path, before you reach the diagonal yellow springs, you will come across a Super Sneakers Monitor in plain sight.
- Where the crusher and Deton paths recombine, look to the right side of the goo pool in front of you. At the bottom of the pool are four Super Ring Monitors and an Armageddon Shield. You can reach them from the glass platform that stands out from the center of the pool. To reach that platform, turn around from the pool and you will see a platform with a diagonal red spring on it. To the left of the platform is a pipe with a gas jet that you cannot reach. In order to reach it, you will need to turn left and go down the hallway that leads from the crusher path until you find a Spring Shell. Use it to get up to the pipe on your left, then turn around and follow the pipe back to where the gas jet was. Use the gas jet to reach the spring and get to the platform. From there, jump to the building in front of you to find a Super Sneakers monitor.
- On the piston path, look to your right at the large conveyor belt in the goo-filled room instead of following it. The bottom of the wall there is cracked. Knuckles or Amy can break it to access an Attraction Shield and a Super Ring Monitor. If you break the wall within the room with the shield, you can find another room with a Super Sneakers monitor. Knuckles' Turret path connects to this room if you follow the normal route.
- Down the piston path, the walls to your left and right after jumping off the long conveyor in the final hallway are breakable as Knuckles or Amy. Behind the one to the left is a Super Sneakers monitor and a Super Ring Monitor.
- If you took the Deton path, at the hallway with the arrow of rings pointing right, an Invincibility monitor is located at the end of the dark corridor which the Deton comes out of. Lure the Deton into a wall before getting it.
- Also down the Deton path, when you emerge from the glass tunnel, look to your right. A platform with yellow hazard tape is connected to a higher ledge with red hazard tape. After jumping to it, you may see a pipe in the distance with another ledge behind it. The Spring Shell on the red hazard tape ledge can take you to the higher ledge, which is adorned with an Invincibility monitor.
- At the end of the long conveyor belt in the piston path, look to your left. Next to the crates floating in the goo is an area with a lowered floor. Submerged in the goo is a pipe on which an extra life monitor stands. To get the extra life, jump down into the goo from the higher platform next to it.
- If you took the conveyor path, look at the windows to your left on the conveyor belt. After the belt makes a right turn, you will see another room through the windows that contains an extra life. To reach it, turn around after jumping off the conveyor belt. The wall to the right of the conveyor can be passed from below by jumping into the goo pool. To gain the necessary momentum, bounce off the Spring Shell at the end of the conveyor belt, or use an Elemental Shield to dive into the goop. A diagonal yellow spring next to the extra life will propel you back out of the area.
- If you took the Deton path, you will drop down into a hallway. An extra life is placed on top of a small pillar, which you can access as Sonic by jumping off at the drop and aiming towards the monitor, which will be helped by a thok.
- In the large outdoor room on the crusher path, after passing below the large glass wall, you will see an extra life and four Super Ring Monitors at the bottom of the goo pool. You have enough vertical momentum from your jump to reach them, but you need to aim carefully.
- If you took the crusher path, you will reach a large outdoor room. The ceiling over the entrance of this room is actually a ledge that contains an extra life and two Super Ring Monitors. While Tails and Knuckles can reach it simply by flying/climbing, Sonic can only access it from the area where the paths rejoin. Turn around from that Star Post and you will see a platform with a diagonal red spring on it. To the left of the platform is a pipe with a gas jet that allows you to get up there. Use the spring and strafe left or right to land on the ceiling of the nearby buildings. From there, turn around and you will reach the large outdoor room from up high. A rim goes around the room that allows you to reach the ledge with the extra life.
- An extra life is hidden deep in the goo pool where the crusher and Deton paths merge. It is too deep down to be reached from the floor level or the glass platform. Instead, turn around from the Star Post and you will see a platform with a diagonal red spring on it. To the left of the platform is a pipe with a gas jet that allows you to get up there, but that you cannot reach. In order to reach it, you will need to turn left and go down the hallway that leads from the crusher path until you find a Spring Shell. Use it to get up to the pipe on your left, then turn around and follow the pipe back to where the gas jet was. Use the gas jet to reach the spring and get to the platform. From there, jump to the building in front of you to find a Super Sneakers monitor.
- In the corridor directly before the Level End Sign, there is an extra life on a small pillar in the corner, surrounded by electrified floors. To get to it without being harmed, use the Spring Shell nearby.
- As Amy, take the piston path until the large conveyor. Go against it and break both walls in your way. Once you end up in a room with a Whirlwind Shield suspended above the conveyor, jump off it to your left. In between the conveyor belt and the exit from the Turret room next to you is the floor, a portion of which is ever so slightly discoloured. Use your hammer to break it and access an extra life.
- Down the piston path, look to your right after exiting the goo tunnel and landing in a goo pool with two crates. A tile of the wall of this pool is rusted and breakable, which will lead to an extra life.
- Take the crusher path. On the fourth silo to your left after jumping off the conveyor belt is an extra life.
- In the large goo pool after the crusher and Deton path rejoin, the wall to the right of the goofalls has an indentation with an extra life far below the goo. To reach it, turn around from the Star Post and you will see a platform with a diagonal red spring on it. To the left of the platform is a pipe with a gas jet that allows you to get up there, but that you cannot reach. In order to reach it, you will need to turn left and go down the hallway that leads from the crusher path until you find a Spring Shell. Use it to get up to the pipe on your left, then turn around and follow the pipe back to where the gas jet was. Use the gas jet to reach the spring and move right to land on the black blocks above the ceiling of the nearby building. From there, you have enough vertical momentum to reach it.
While Sonic can finish this stage very quickly, Tails has a slight advantage over him because he can get enough height to get through the goo pools with his flight ability. Additionally, he can skip several sections outright: he can skip the piston room by flying up to the bridge after it from below. He can also fly straight from the conveyor belt entrance and over the barricade and into the goo down the barricade path. At the third path split, he can take the crusher path and fly over the wall separating the large outdoor room from the area with the fourth Star Post, reaching the factory at the end immediately. Grabbing the Super Sneakers in the room between the second and third path split will allow him to skip this section even faster. In the factory itself, he can fly right to the ledge with the entrance to the floating platforms, skipping the rest of the room. As Sonic and Metal Sonic, the piston path is typically slightly faster than the barricade path despite the piston obstacle. Additionally, chaining Spring Shells can make you far faster than taking the normal route in places where you can do it.
|Spoilers end here.|