Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart (usually shortened to SRB2Kart or SRB2K) is a source code modification of Version 2.1 made by Kart Krew. Originally based on the Mario Kart mode of SRB2 Riders, it is a kart racing game with Sonic and SEGA-themed characters, items and maps. SRB2Kart features over 100 maps for two game modes: the main Race mode and a Battle mode where players fight each other using the items available in the game. Despite Version 2.2 being out, SRB2Kart is still supported by Kart Krew, the Message Board, and the Master Server. Future releases are still planned.
- 1 Current release information
- 2 Gameplay and content
- 3 Items
- 4 Characters
- 5 Levels
- 6 Editing features
- 7 Other features
- 8 See also
Current release information
- Current version: 1.3 (September 13, 2020)
- Available at: SRB2 Message Board
- Zone Builder configuration file: Download
- Source code: GitHub GitLab
Gameplay and content
SRB2Kart's gameplay is that of a typical kart racer, with the ability to drift and get boosts from drifts, items to help or hinder the player, and many other staples associated with the genre. However, its handling and physics are different from other kart racers, with a focus on momentum and skill-based gameplay. Among differences, SRB2Kart introduces some new mechanics and techniques, including the sliptide (performed by turning inwards after receiving a boost), the Drop Dash (performed by holding Accelerate while respawning), and the ability to skip on water up to two times with enough momentum. In addition, items thrown behind the player will move drastically slower than if the player had thrown them forward, and certain items (Bananas, Eggman Monitors, and Mines) can be dragged behind the player as a means of defense, though this will cause them to slow down after a short time.
As of the current release, Single Player only offers a Time Attack mode where the player races against staff ghosts and earns medals for completing a course under certain times: Silver medals are awarded for beating a course's best time, and Gold medals are awarded by beating the top staff ghost of that course. Getting certain amounts of medals or playing a set number of races will unlock extra content, including additional cups and a harder race speed. Time Attack mode can't be played in a cheated game or if any major add-ons (i.e. different mechanics, extra game modes, level replacements or a character with an additional Lua script) are loaded.
The principal feature of SRB2Kart is Multiplayer, which can be played offline through local play with up to four players, or online through LAN or Internet with support for up to 16 players. Split-screen mode is supported for both online and offline modes, with up to four players on each client. If an online server requires certain add-ons, the game will download and load them prior to a join request, if the server allows file downloading.
Items are provided by item boxes, which are littered across a track or battle arena. There are 16 different items which can be obtained:
SRB2Kart features 5 characters available in the base game, as well as an additional 30 in the included optional
bonuschars.kart add-on. Up to 128 characters (including the base game characters) can be added to the game at once through the use of add-ons. Characters are automatically balanced according to two stats with values between 1 and 9: speed and weight. A high speed stat lets the player reach faster speeds at the expense of worse acceleration, and a high weight stat makes it easier for the player to push others around with less handling and wider drifts as a trade-off. In addition, a character's speed and weight will directly affect how fast they build up drift sparks: a slower, heavier character (i.e. Dr. Eggman) will build up drift sparks much quicker than a faster, lighter character (i.e. Sonic).
Currently, there are 108 levels in SRB2 Kart, consisting of 12 Race cups with 5 tracks per cup for a total of 60 Race tracks (of which 3 cups/15 tracks are unlockable), 29 Battle arenas, 15 Map Hell Race tracks, 3 Map Hell Battle arenas and the Podium Evaluation map (which will be used in a future update).
- Thing type 462: SD2 BP Balloon
- Thing type 553: Gray Spring
- Thing type 554: Invisible Spring
- Thing type 557: Diagonal Blue Spring
- Thing type 711: MKDS PG Tree
- Thing type 712: MKDS PG Flower 1
- Thing type 713: MKDS PG Flower 2
- Thing type 714: MKDS PG Flower 3
- Thing type 715: MKDS PG Bush
- Thing type 716: HTZ Pinetree
- Thing type 717: HTZ Bush
- Thing type 718: MKSC SG Vine 1
- Thing type 719: MKSC SG Vine 2
- Thing type 720: MKSC SG Vine 3
- Thing type 724: RBA Boost
- Thing type 725: RBA Spikeball 3
- Thing type 726: RBA Spikeball 2
- Thing type 727: RBA Spikeball 1
- Thing type 728: Chao Fruit (Pink)
- Thing type 729: Chao Fruit (Red)
- Thing type 730: Chao Fruit (Orange)
- Thing type 731: Chao Fruit (Blue)
- Thing type 732: PC Merry-Go-Round Horse
- Thing type 733: PC Exploding Barrel
- Thing type 734: Twinkle Cart Ambience
- Thing type 735: PC Merry-Go-Round Ambience
- Thing type 736: PC Bowling Pin
- Thing type 737: Small Red Torch
- Thing type 738: THH Monokuma
- Thing type 739: Small Purple Torch
- Thing type 740: CK RR Pegasus Statue
- Thing type 741: CK RR Lizard Man Statue
- Thing type 742: CK RR Dragon Statue
- Thing type 743: CK RR Chimera Statue
- Thing type 744: CK RR Chest
- Thing type 745: KKR GD Tree
- Thing type 746: KKR GD Duck
- Thing type 747: KKR GD Thing
- Thing type 748: Green Torch
- Thing type 749: Blue Torch
- Thing type 1479: Torch (no fullbright)
- Thing type 1480: Devil Gargoyle
- Thing type 1481: Angel Gargoyle
- Thing type 1482: Generic Palmtree
- Thing type 1483: Peach's Castle Flag
- Thing type 1484: Sonic the Hedge (bust)
- Thing type 1485: Tall Bush
- Thing type 1486: Bush Tree
- Thing type 1487: Fire Hydrant
- Thing type 1488: Random Audience Member
- Thing type 1600: VVZ Smoke
- Thing type 1601: MCZ Jack in the Box
- Thing type 1950: AAZ Palmtree
- Thing type 1960: SM SS3 Pillar
- Thing type 1969: MZ Torch
- Thing type 1970: MZ Burner
- Thing type 1988: RRZ Lamp
- Thing type 1989: RRZ Chain
- Thing type 2000: Random Item
- Thing type 2005: BBZ Frogger
- Thing type 2006: BBZ Robra
- Thing type 2007: BBZ Blue Robra
- Thing type 2015: Buzz Bomber
- Thing type 2016: SCZ Palmtree
- Thing type 2018: PRZ Smoke Generator
- Thing type 2200: AS Toad – A static Toad that flies off screaming upon contact and explodes (doesn't respawn). Used in Arid Sands.
- Thing type 2201: FTZ Lizard Man Statue
- Thing type 2202: FTZ Lion Man Statue
- Thing type 2301: SMK DP Bush 1
- Thing type 2302: SMK DP Bush 2
- Thing type 2303: SMK DP Bush 3
- Thing type 2311: EZZ Propeller
- Thing type 2400: Big Puma
- Thing type 2496: 3CD Tree 1
- Thing type 2497: 3CD Tree 2
- Thing type 2498: 3CD Bush
- Thing type 2499: 3CD Moon
- Thing type 2500: Chomper
- Thing type 2679: EGZ Fog Generator
- Thing type 2800: Autumn Flower
- Thing type 2801: Autumn Sunflower
- Thing type 2802: Autumn Budding Flower
- Thing type 2805: Autumn Bush
- Thing type 2807: Decorative DKR Item
- Thing type 2808: Big Ring
- Thing type 2809: Decorative MKSC Item
- Thing type 3000: SCZ Blue Flower
- Thing type 3001: SCZ Blue Tulips
- Thing type 3002: SCZ Yellow Flower
- Thing type 3003: SCZ Yellow Tulips
- Thing type 3120: MC Random Shadow
- Thing type 3121: MC Roaming Shadow
- Thing type 3122: MC Sign
- Thing type 3124: MC Spotlight
- Thing type 3199: Mementos Reaper Waypoint
- Thing type 3201: Mementos Teleporter
- Thing type 3202: Mementos Reaper
- Thing type 3203: SMK VL Ice Block
- Thing type 3204: DSZ Pinetree
- Thing type 3742: DPZ Palmtree
- Thing type 3745: SMK VL Snowball
- Thing type 3970: SMK Pipe
- Thing type 3971: SMK DP Monty Mole
- Thing type 3972: SMK Thwomp
- Thing type 4022: SCZ Wall Plant
- Thing type 4024: SCZ Plant
- Thing type 4025: SCZ Bush
- Thing type 4026: CAZ Skull
- Thing type 4027: CAZ Phantom Tree
- Thing type 4028: CAZ Flying Gargoyle
- Thing type 4029: CAZ Lamppost
- Thing type 4030: CAZ Dead Tree
- Thing type 4050: CD SS1 UFO
- Linedef flag 15: Invert Encore Remap – Inverts the effects of the Encore Remap if an Encore Palette has been made. With FOFs, this needs to be set on the linedefs in the map, instead of the ones on the control sector.
- Linedef type 323: Record Attack Load – A type of linedef executor trigger which activates any linedef executor within its control sector immediately after the level loads in record attack. This linedef executor only triggers once, and will not trigger again until the level is reloaded. The tag given to this linedef is irrelevant.
- Linedef type 328: Encore Load – A type of linedef executor trigger which activates any linedef executor within its control sector immediately after the level loads in encore mode. This linedef executor only triggers once, and will not trigger again until the level is reloaded. The tag given to this linedef is irrelevant.
- Linedef type 413: Change Music – Has the same functionality, but checking Flag  / Peg Midtexture / Effect 3 hides the music credit which shows whenever a new song plays.
- Sector type 2: Offroad (Weak) – Slows the player down slightly unless they are under the effect of a speed boost.
- Sector type 3: Offroad – Slows the player down moderately unless they are under the effect of a speed boost.
- Sector type 4: Offroad (Strong) – Slows the player down greatly unless they are under the effect of a speed boost.
- Sector type 12: Wall Sector
- Sector type 112: Trigger Linedef Executor (Race Lap) – Activates the tagged trigger linedef on a certain lap of a race. The lap to use is based off of the player with the lowest current lap, unless Solid Midtexture is checked, in which case the lap of the player that enters the sector is used instead. By default the trigger linedef will activate if the used lap is equal to the front sidedef's x offset with an offset of 1 representing the second lap. If flags  / Not Climbable or  / Block Enemies are checked on the trigger linedef then the used lap must be greater than or equal or less than or equal to the front sidedef's x offset, respectively.
- Sector type 192: Invert Encore Remap – Inverts the effects of the Encore Remap if an Encore Palette has been made. Normally, everything is remapped barring Spring Panels and Sneaker Panels.
- Sector type 256: Spring Panel – Makes the player bounce forward after touching the sector like a spring, keeping any previous momentum or speed (or giving some if you didn't have too much speed).
- Sector type 768: Spring Panel (Speed Capped) – Makes the player bounce forward after touching the sector like a spring, but caps your speed to a certain amount during the jump instead of keeping it.
- Sector type 24576: Sneaker Panel – A boost panel, gives the player a speed boost upon contact.
- Sector type 40960: Circuit Finish Line – Marks the completion of a lap after crossing all checkpoints before it. Note that it can be used as a Section completion marker in case your track is a one-way/section race (laps used as sections).
Level header parameters
- Default setting: false
This parameter is used to indicate if a track is a sprint race where there's a defined end. If this is set to true, then the number of 'laps' which the player would have to do will be no more than the NumLaps value given.
- Default setting:
This parameter is used to set the scale of all Objects in the map, in multiples of
MobjScale = FRACUNIT/2would scale all Objects in the map to half of its current size.
- Default setting: (none)
Replaces "Zone" with the title on this parameter, unless the
NoZone parameter is set to true, in which case it won't display at all. The zone title is limited to 21 characters; if it is longer, a warning will be displayed and the name will be truncated to fit.
List of music
|spoiler, an unlockable, or a secret. Please leave the page if you do not wish to view spoilers.|
With the exception of Hell Attack, all unlockables can be unlocked either by collecting a certain number of medals or playing a certain number of matches.
|Unlockable||Description||Needed medals||Needed matches|
|Egg Cup||Unlocks the Egg Cup maps (Kodachrome Void, Boiling Bedrock, Egg Quarters, Virtual Highway and Eggman's Nightclub) for Time Attack and Multiplayer.||5 medals||25 matches|
|Chao Cup||Unlocks the Chao Cup maps (KKR Ganbare Dochu 2, CK Chao Circuit 1, CK Chao Circuit 2, CK Cloud Tops 2, CK Regal Raceway) for Time Attack and Multiplayer.||15 medals||50 matches|
|SMK Cup||Unlocks the SMK Cup maps (SMK Donut Plains 1, SMK Mario Circuit 2, SMK Ghost Valley 2, SMK Bowser Castle 3, SMK Vanilla Lake 2) for Time Attack and Multiplayer.||30 medals||150 matches|
|Hard Game Speed||Unlocks the Hard Game Speed option for use in Multiplayer.||50 medals||200 matches|
|Encore Mode||Unlocks Encore Mode, which mirrors the tracks and may provide a complete palette remap of them, for use in Multiplayer.||70 medals||300 matches|
|Hell Attack||Unlocks the ability to play Map Hell tracks in Time Attack.||110 medals||—|
|Spoilers end here.|
|v2.2||Mystic Realm • SRB2 Battle|
|v2.1||Acid Missile • Dumbventure • SRB2Kart • SUGOI • SUBARASHII • KIMOKAWAIII • Tortured Planet|
|v2.0||Botanic Serenity • SRB2CB • SRB2 Riders • XSRB2|
|v1.09.4||SA-SRB2 • Blue Heaven • ShufflarB2 • SRB2JTE|