The name trigger sector is given to a sector that triggers a linedef executor. The target sectors are where the linedef executor will exhibit its effect, but the trigger sector's type determines how it's triggered. There are seven types, and the type can be set in the sector's properties.
Types of trigger sectors
The trigger sector types are found in group 2.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (Anywhere in Sector): The player only needs to enter the sector's boundaries to trigger the linedef executor; not necessarily touch its ground.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (Anywhere in Sector, All Players): All present players must enter the sector's boundaries. Like the above, touching the floor is not necessary.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (Emerald Check): Will only trigger if the player has all 7 Chaos Emeralds in his/her possession.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (Floor Touch): Triggers once a player touches its floor. If the player enters the sector's boundaries, but leaves without touching the floor (i.e. jumping over), the linedef executor will not trigger.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (Floor Touch, All Players): Same as above, except all players need to touch its ground.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (NiGHTS Mare): Will trigger if NiGHTS Super Sonic enters the sector. This trigger sector requires some characteristics from the control linedef in order to know in which mare to activate.
- Trigger Linedef Executor (Pushable Objects): The linedef executor will trigger if a pushable object (e.g. a gargoyle or snowman) is pushed to the trigger sector.